A spilt glass of red wine, an iron mark on the carpet, a hot saucepan on a kitchen worktop or chipped bath enamel - if you're living in rented property, your landlord or letting agent can take the cost of repairs out of your deposit.

Your landlord's contents insurance will not cover you if you accidentally damage their property and it certainly won't cover you if your belongings are damaged or stolen from your home.

All tenants should protect their possessions and the landlord's property against accidental damage. It is a condition of most tenancy agreements that the tenant has in place an insurance policy for the start of the tenancy.

You can arrange an insurance policy through any insurance provider you choose and you do not have to arrange this through your letting agent.